Mould Removal – What homeowners should know

Mould Removal – What homeowners should know

Mould questions are a frequent source of calls to the Hazpro office, and we’ve found there is a lot of misinformation out there about mould and what it means when it’s found inside your home.

With this in mind, we’ve come up with what we feel every home owner should know about mould and what they can do to prevent it and deal with it if it does occur.

A little bit about mould

Moulds are a type of fungi, of which there are thousands of known species. As with all fungi, molds reproduce via spores, which are microscopic and are constantly present in the air we breathe every day.  Moulds, like other fungi, contribute to the breakdown of organic matter, and as such are a vital part of the environment we live in. When mould spores come into an indoor space, most of them float harmlessly by and die, as they need to find a wet surface on which to grow. However, if they encounter a wet surface, or a very humid space, they can find a place to grow.

Is mould harming me?

Mold is always present in the air, and most people are unaffected by it. You may have heard stories about “toxic black mould”. However this term is not very accurate: colour does not indicate a mould’s toxicity. There are some moulds that produce more mycotoxins (toxic substances produced by fungi as a result of their metabolic processes) than others, but most moulds, including those that may be black, white, green, etc. only cause problems in people who have a specific sensitivity to them. These problems can include: allergies, asthma, opportunistic infections (such as aspergillosis), skin or mucus membrane irritation, and more. It is also worth noting that repeated and long term exposure to moulds (whether the moulds are dead or alive) can cause sensitivities to develop over time in people who may not have previously had a sensitivity.

Regardless of the potential health effects from mould, when it’s present in a home, it is indicative of a moisture issue, which left untreated can cause rot and compromise your home’s structural integrity.

Mould should always be treated with care, and as a sign of a moisture issue that needs rectification.

What should I do if I think I have mould in my home?

If you have mould in your home and don’t know what’s causing it, or if you suspect you have mould but can’t see it (e.g. you smell mould), give us a call and we can line you up with one of our expert partners who can assess your space and determine if the mould is there, where it is, and what’s causing it.

If you know you have mould removal and need a price for the remediation, we’ll be happy to schedule a free site visit where one of our staff will come out and assess your issue and come up with a no-obligation quote.

Click here to learn about mould removal in Victoria BC