Hazpro Environmental – Mold Removal and Prevention
Mold Removal and Prevention – Mold is the common word for any fungus that grows on food or damp materials. Mold can be black, white or almost any colour. It often looks like a stain or smudge and it may smell musty.
In order to grow, mold needs moisture and a material it can live on. It then releases “spores” into the air which are small enough that people can actually breathe them in. Breathing in large amounts of these spores and the by-products they produce can negatively impact your health.
At Hazpro Environmental our goal is to help you and your family live a healthier and happier life so here are some simple things that you can do help keep your home mold free!
When you see water or moisture act quickly
- Check home foundation, walls, windows, roof, plumbing, tubs and sinks for water leaks. If you find a leak or a spill, dry the area and fix the leak.
- Check window sills regularly for condensation or moisture, particularly during the cold months. If found, act quickly to dry the wet surface.
Ventilate your home
- Turn on an exhaust fan or open a window when showering or cooking. Let the fan run for a few minutes after you are finished.
- Check clothes dryer, bathroom and kitchen fans, stoves, and oil or propane heaters to be sure they are vented outside.
- Open windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
Keep your home warm and ensure good air circulation
- Rooms or areas that become cold can encourage condensation to form and surrounding materials to become damp and mouldy.
- Keep furniture and other belongings away from exterior walls to allow warm air to circulate.
**Mold Removal Pro Tip** Have your drain tile inspected ($150.00).
The inspection is visual and involves a camera being inserted into the train tile. Typically roots are found growing into the drain tiles looking for water, which can cause a collapse in the tile or even a break in the connection to the storm sewer. Often the drain tile might be taking the average amount of water away but in a heavy rain fall it can’t keep up and the water will go through the cracks and into the basement.
These pesky roots can be removed with a roto-rooter often saving the entire system! Click here to book your inspection today!
Remove items that may cause mold
- Reduce the amount of stored materials, especially in the basement and closets.
- Throw out wet and badly damaged or musty smelling items.
- Do not store firewood inside the home.
- Remove carpet in bathroom and basements that are damp.
- Avoid storing items in cardboard boxes on basement floors.
Keep your home clean and dry
- Clean and dry surfaces that get wet, such as:
- Drip pans in your air conditioner, refrigerator, and dehumidifier.
- Washing machine/tub, bathtub/shower, and surrounding walls.
- Vacuum carpets and furniture often.
- Keep drains in kitchen, bathroom and basement floor clear of debris.
- Use air conditioners and dehumidifiers during humid weather, if possible.
Minimize other indoor moisture sources
- Avoid hanging laundry to dry indoors when possible. Remove dryer lint after each use.
- Don’t over-water plants and watch for signs of mould in the plants.
- Take out garbage regularly.
- Keep your sump pit covered.
Prevent water from entering your home
- Install downspout extensions to take rainwater and melted snow away from the home.
- Make sure eaves troughs/roof gutters and downspouts are connected and working. Clean and repair regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the home foundation, so that water does not collect around the foundation and enter the home.
If you think you may have mold growing in your home we can help! The first step is to call our team so we can come to your home and complete a visual investigation. We can point out if there is an obvious source of the mold, and gain sufficient information to quote on your mold removal project.